[Sca-cooks] inns, taverns and food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 18:46:25 PST 2005

Johnnae replied to me with:
> What I meant by pointing out that Hackwood is old
> is just that. It's almost a century old.
Okay.
> There's over 100 that turn up in a search on using
> terms England tavern history. 1000 works turn up
> under England and tavern. Inn(tavern) is most often seen
> by the way in terms of LCSHeadings.
>
> The English alehouse :a social history, 1200-1830 /
> Peter Clark   1983
> English Book Book xiv, 353 p., [16] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
> London ; New York : Longman, ; ISBN: 0582508355 (pbk.)
<snip>
> There are also numerous papers too. There's been a lot done on this
> topic.
Thank you! Then hopefully some of those do detail period tavern food as
well as other interesting or useful details. Some of them might also
have useful details on period beer and ale as well. I have saved your
message for my taverns-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas