[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent -- Ice Axe Report

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 18:22:55 PST 2005

Cynara said:
> We started with the usual bread and cheese tray. The next dish is now
> known
> as "Aelfwynn's Famous Fish Soup" since I frequently get asked to cook
> it,
> even when I'm not head cook. It's not a documentably period dish, but a
> speculation on Viking soup, with carrots, onions, barley and cod in
> fish
> broth. Instead of butter for browning the vegetables, I used olive oil.
So, why olive oil specifically? Cost? I'm just not sure that olive got
up to the Norse regions. They tended to be rather far from olive
growing regions. But the alternative oils that I can think of, such as
walnut oil, are rather expensive especially for an SCA feast.

Perhaps some olive oil did get up there or other, more local but still
expensive oils were used just for the Lenten season.

I am looking forward to seeing your redaction for this, Cynara.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com