[Sca-cooks] Havdalah ["Sweet" Pepper? Digression]

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 21 18:54:49 PST 2005

The Havdalah marks the end of a sacred time, that was usually begun with
a berakhah and the lighting of two candles.  The Havdalah uses a braided
candle, a kiddush cup containing wine, and a box of sweet-smelling
spices. The braided candle represents the light of the Shabbat and the
strands of the braid represent all the many Jewish people who make up
one people. The wine represents the joy of the Shabbat, usually filled
to overflowing. The box of sweet-smelling spices represents the
sweetness of the Shabbat, and you breath it in to keep it with all week.
There are blessings that go with each of these acts. One of the
traditional blessings over the spices is: "Blessed are You, our God,
Creator of time and space, who creates a potpourri of spices."  (/Barukh
atah Adonai Elohaynu melekh ha-olam, borei/ /minei v'samim.//)/

You can probably find more details and variations online...

Aoghann