[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent -- Ice Axe Report

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 21 20:27:56 PST 2005

Stefan scripsit:
> So, why olive oil specifically? Cost?

You are right, it is much cheaper than walnut or hazelnut oil, which would
be more appropriate for Vikings. This started out as a Viking-era themed
feast -- well before written cookbooks, hence the creative aspect of some of
the dishes. I typically cook with butter or lard, because animal fats were
more common than vegetable oils, and our vegetarian can usually eat dishes
made with butter. When I realized that the event fell during Lent, I shifted
focus a bit. You may have noticed that the side dishes are from post-Viking
cookbooks, where olive oil is used as a fish-day substitute for animal fats.

Cynara