[Sca-cooks] Fw: More gerbil madness

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 19:05:18 PST 2005

--- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:

> Cute name for the dog! If you were a
> mathemetician, he could have been
> "PIdeaux" for a double pun.
> I have a cat named Curye...after Curye on
> Inglisch (sp?).  That, and the
> fact that as a kitten, she liked yellow and
> green curries. ;-)
> --maire

Except that Curye as in Curye on Inglisch means
"cookery", so the title actually means English
Cookery. Form of Cury means Form of Cookery.
Curye absolutely does _not_ mean curry, as in
yellow and green curries from India.

>From the OED:

[a. OF. keuerie, queuerie, queurie (14th c.),
cookery, kitchen, f. keu, queu, coeu:L. coquus,
cocus cook: see -ERY.]

a. Cookery. (Also the ‘concoction’ of substances
in alchemy.)    b. Cooked food; a dish.

1387 TREVISA Higden (Rolls) I. 405 They conne ete
and be mury Withoute grete kewery. [CAXTON cury,
Higden coquorum artificia]. ?c1390 (title), Form
of Cury. ?a1400 Morte Arth. 1063 Here es cury
un-clene, carle, be my trowthe. c1460 J. RUSSELL
Bk. Nurture 506 Cookes with theire newe
conceytes..Many new curies..they are contryvynge
& Fyndynge. 1513 DOUGLAS Æneis VIII. Prol. 95
Throw cury of the quentassens

Huette

=====
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.