[Sca-cooks] Sumptuary laws on food

Micheal dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca
Wed Feb 23 12:03:58 PST 2005

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Huette von Ahrens" <ahrenshav at yahoo.com>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Sumptuary laws on food
   It might if you are thinking nutritionally.
> However, if you were noble enough to be
> entertaining a cardinal, I doubt if you would
> want to cut corners like that.  Churchmen were
> usually very conscious of their position and
> might take offence if you offered only 6 or 7
> courses when they were deserving of 9.  Offending
> churchmen meant that you might not get that
> dispensation that you were looking for.
> This kind of sumptuary law, if it is correct,
> appears to be aimed at the nobility and not the
> lower classes, IMHO.
>
> Huette
>
> =====
> Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
> they shall never cease to be amused.

  Any pye that contians beef , pork, venision, chicken, duck, prunes ,
dates, currants, wine, egg yolks, and other things.  Served at hieght of
four + inches with a spoon .  Weighs more than 3 lbs is slightly more then a
singular dish  for me. Nutrion be hung out to dry thats medeval solid
plumber.

 The entire point of the sumptuary laws was to maintian the separation
between classes.  To keep money in the country not to encourage upward
mobility.
 Da