[Sca-cooks] Re: coffyns

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 23 17:25:43 PST 2005

As we continue to go round and round on coffyns
I still think that Countess Alys was correct in pointing out that
much can be learned by looking at Ivan Day's website.
Here I'll provide the links--
http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/Banniet%20tort%20recipe.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe2.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/medlar%20tart%20recipe.htm
http://www.historicfood.com/Setcustards.htm

I suspect that it will take a major research effort to really come
up with some answers and not just speculations on this topic and even
then there's a good chance
that the practice varied over time and place depending upon ingredients
and use. I am sorry but I just don't have the time at the moment to do it.

Johnnae

from 18 February 2005

Greetings!  Ivan Day has some "fancy pies" on his website
(historicfood.com).  With one of them is a carved wooden mould to produce
leaves which are placed as decoration on the lids.  That would be a fast
way for non-artistic types to produce quality decorations in quantity.  He
also shows some  metal tins for making the decorative sides.  I think these
are from the mid-1600s and later.

Alys Katharine