[Sca-cooks] Re: coffyns

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 17:03:57 PST 2005

It might be instructive to note the physical distance between the kitchen (usually a separate building for fire prevention purposes) and the dining hall.  Keeping the food warm and clean while it was traversing that distance was the reason for metal lids on serving dishes, I believe.

Surely a pastry lid served a similar purpose (in part).

Cordelia toser

Nancy Kiel <nancy_kiel at hotmail.com> wrote:
I think it unlikely that coffins were used because there weren't enough
pans/trappes. A coffin might be used because the dough can be shaped
however the cook wishes; it might be used so that the innards of the pie can
be presented in a different way; as I said before, it's a chance to show off
wealth (using all that flour, instead of a reusable ceramic pan) and skill
(shaping as desired). As for thickness, certainly the Dutch paintings
mentioned show thin top crusts, and one (at least) has a scoop of pie on the
second plate with some of the crust. My understanding was that the crust
for coffins or raised pies, which I interpret as free-standing pies, was not
meant to be eaten, just because it wouldn't be very tasty. A "regular"
crust would be made with more fat etc. As for serving food "hot", do we
have any idea as to how quickly food cools off? Maybe some experiments
with refrigeration are in order. And hey, if the food is room temperature,
doesn't more of the flavour come through?

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!