[Sca-cooks] Re: coffyns

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 16:07:41 PST 2005

I think it unlikely that coffins were used because there weren't enough
pans/trappes.  A coffin might be used because the dough can be shaped
however the cook wishes; it might be used so that the innards of the pie can
be presented in a different way; as I said before, it's a chance to show off
wealth (using all that flour, instead of a reusable ceramic pan) and skill
(shaping as desired).  As for thickness, certainly the Dutch paintings
mentioned show thin top crusts, and one (at least) has a scoop of pie on the
second plate with some of the crust.  My understanding was that the crust
for coffins or raised pies, which I interpret as free-standing pies, was not
meant to be eaten, just because it wouldn't be very tasty.  A "regular"
crust would be made with more fat etc.  As for serving food "hot", do we
have any idea as  to how quickly food cools off?  Maybe some experiments
with refrigeration are in order.  And hey, if the food is room temperature,
doesn't more of the flavour come through?

Something to look for (hint, hint, researchers): period
descriptions/instructions for serving pies
            Kitchen inventories for pans

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!