[Sca-cooks] (1994) Milk and Milk Products from Medieval toModernTimes

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 24 08:45:33 PST 2005

Martin G. Diehl wrote:

>Please remember that Platina is remembered for being
>the first librarian of the Papal library.  In the
>following citation, referenced as the Latin Library.
>
>Some sources say he catalogued about 2500 entries.
>
>... and had his picture put on the fresco ...
>
>Please follow the link and scroll down to the last
>entry to view
>
>"Melozzo da Forli"; 1477
>http://www.philipresheph.com/a424/gallery/piclib/piclib3.htm
>
>Platina is kneeling in front of the pope and pointing to
>his name on the plaque.  How _very_ Italian is that?  <g>
>
>It's worth the download time to view the full image after
>clicking on the thumb.
>
><geek>
>BTW, as you view the full image, you might be asked to
>download and install an image viewer.  It seems cool to
>allow that.  I haven't seen any ill effects ... yet.  <g>
>
>On the plus side, you have control of the image size
>... at 200% I can easily see (but not translate --
>Hint!, Hint!) the Latin inscription on the fresco.
></geek>
>
>I am,
>Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
>In Service to the Dream

Quick transcription:

TEMPLA DOMUM EXPOSITIS VICOS FORA MOENIA PONTES:
VIRGINEAM TRIVII QVOD REPARARIS AQVAM.
PRISCA LICET NAVTIS STATVAS DARE COMMODA PORTUS:
ET VATICANUM CINGERE SIXTE LVGVM:
PLVS TAMEN VRBS DEBET:  NAM QVAE SQVALORE LATEBAT:
CERNITVR IN CELEBRI BIBLIOTHECA LOCO.

The caption next to the painting reads:

Melozzo da Forli

1477

Sixtus IV wih his four nephews and his librarian Platina

Pinacoteca, Vatican

The fresco, orignally in the Latin Library in the Vatican, records the
libary's foundation in 1475 and the appointment of its first librarian,
Bartolomeo Platina.
Platina kneels before Pope Sixtus IV, who is surrounded by his four
nephews, all beneficiaries of Sixtus' nepotism.
Beside the Pope stands Giuliano della Rovere, the future Pope Julius II.
Next to the throne is Raffaello Riario, the Apostolic Protonotary, and
behind Platina stand Girolamo Riario and Giovanni della Rovere.
Platina indicates the Latin inscription on the front of the plinth.

Selene