[Sca-cooks] Raw vs. pasteurized yogurt?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Fri Feb 25 14:34:27 PST 2005

At 06:58 AM 2/25/2005,Tara Sersen Boroson said something like:
>Does anybody here know if, historically, yogurt has been made with raw
>milk or if the milk has been scalded first?  Sally Fallon insists it was
>raw, but I find her scholarship... dubious.  Harold McGee says the milk
>was traditionally scalded first.  I was going to look up the resources in
>his bibliography, but figured I'd see if anybody here had a short answer
>for me since there are so many really well informed folks here.
>One of those why reinvent the wheel moments ;)
>
>Thank you!
>-Magdalena vander Brugghe

I don't know how documentation runs, but when I was a kid and we made
yogurt/cheeses/etc with the goat milk from our herd, we did the yogurt from
raw milk. The milk for the cheese got heated then processed (a
pasteurization process?).  As long as theres no active nasties in the milk
you should be fine.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.