[Sca-cooks] Coffyn Fillings?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 21:31:18 PST 2005

Aoghann asked:
> Well, with so much talk about Coffyns, what can I put in one? (other
> than an annoying student or two). Pointers to some references would be
> greatly appreciated.
Well, I assume any filling which you might find in medieval pies or
tarts. Here is a list of pie-type files in the Florilegium I just gave
to someone looking for info on humble pie. While that appears to be
mostly organ meats this individual was looking for pies for Pennsic, so
I gave others as well.
In the FOOD section:
Period-Pies-art   (33K)  9/29/97    "Raising a Coffin or the Fine Art
of Making
                                        Period Pies." by Lady Aoife Finn.
pies-msg          (57K)  7/26/02    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit
pies.
tarts-msg        (102K)  5/21/04    Period small, open-topped, shallow
pies.
   (this is where I would look for the custard pies)
To_Mke_A_Tart-art (20K) 11/30/93    Article on medieval recipes using a
cheese-
                                       onion tart as an example.

In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
fruit-pies-msg    (45K)  1/ 5/01    Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking
pies.

In the FOOD-MEATS section:
fish-pies-msg     (11K)  5/ 3/01    Period fish pies. Recipes.
meat-pies-msg    (130K)  5/ 7/01    Period meat pies. Recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com