[Sca-cooks] rosewater

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 26 17:17:05 PST 2005

Alexa asked:
> I have seen many recipes that
> call for rosewater.  I was out and about and found a
> wine and cake hobbie store that carried it.  What is
> the average price for rosewater and what other places
> carry it.

As someone else mentioned, the price paid can vary quite a lot.
Sometimes the quality of the rosewater also varies. You can make your
own, but it is a lot of work and many modern roses have had the
taste/smell bred out of them or tremendously reduced. Anyway, for a bit
more info you might like to look at these files in the Florilegium:
rose-syrup-msg    (10K)  6/24/99    Making rose syrup. It's uses.
Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/rose-syrup-msg.html
rose-water-msg    (34K) 11/27/00    Where to buy. How to make.
Rose-water uses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/rose-water-msg.html

You also want to make sure that any rosewater you buy for use in foods
is food safe, although what you get in a wine and cake store ought to
be.

> Is that worth paying and grinding
> myself.  Since most recipes only call for a small amount?
Usually it is. Even in period there are comments about buying unground
rather than ground spices. Along with freshness issues this also avoids
adulteration. As someone else mentioned, you can easily grind most
spices in a simple mortar and pestle or in a dedicated spice grinder
(ie: don't use it for coffee as well as spice grinding). You can find
more comments on this in the spices-msg file in the Florilegium.

I have an electric grinder I bought just for spices, but I usually just
end up using the mortar and pestle for small amounts.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com