[Sca-cooks] Re: rosewater

she not atamagajobu at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 11:35:22 PST 2005

From: Stefan li Rous/ alexa

You also want to make sure that any rosewater you buy for use in foods
is food safe, although what you get in a wine and cake store ought to
be...
I have to not only find a middle eastern
store but an indian one too now Is that worth paying and grinding myself?

Usually it is. Even in period there are comments about buying unground
rather than ground spices. Along with freshness issues this also avoids
adulteration.

(or especially in period -I've been trying and can't remember any  reference to buying, selling or transporting preground spices in period, not usually done, for  the practical reasons stefan mentioned - in fact, all I can think of is one reference to pre *used* spices, an hypocras recipe that recommended seiving out the spices and grinding them for other dishes). Even mixtures like poudre douce or forte were  usually blended to taste at home, same like garam masala (or tea in an english household!)
You can also check greek stores and health food stores for rosewater and orange flower water- the  thing to be careful of in Indian stores is that smaller  "rosewater" bottles might be more of a perfume essence too strong to use in cooking, so look for 6-12 oz sizes. Health food/herb stores often carry bulk spices too, which are much cheaper- in my local stores bulk tends to cost less than half  the prepackaged prices- i think cardamon is .59/oz. (they also carry bulk on fun things like henna or sandalwood, myrrh and frankincense for the aromatherapy crowd-i think those run about $1-2/oz.) another  good thing about buying bulk spices is that, even ground, stored in quantity they lose flavor slower. If you don't have such a place, see if you know anyone in a co-op that can get bulk for your group to split-they'll be happy to, since bigger orders get better discounts.

 and since it isn't easy to get all the scent out of a dedicated spice grinder for the next spice- pick up several pepper grinders at thrift stores and yard sales for storing granular spices like cardamon, cloves, grains of paradise which really should be fresh ground -that way you don't always need a mortar and pestle, and your spices are easier to pack and use at events- a tinyspice grater can go in the baggie with your nutmegs too, so you always have them together.

gisele

"all men are intrinsical rascals, and I am only sorry that not being a dog I can't bite them."   Lord Byron