[Sca-cooks] bread puddings

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Sat Feb 26 19:42:16 PST 2005

On Feb 26, 2005, at 1:36 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Does anyone have any particular period bread pudding
> recipes/redactions which they like? For that matter, since I seem to
> like bread puddings (I've only had them twice, that I remember), I
> wouldn't mind getting any non-period bread puddings that you
> particularly like.

Here are a few period recipes I found.  I like making a variation of
the first one - leaving out the marrow and substituting butter and milk
for the suet.

[A new booke of Cookerie, John Murrell (1615)]
To make an Italian Pudding. Take a Penny white Loafe, pare off the
crust, and cut it in square pieces like vnto great Dyes, mince a pound
of Beefe Suit small: take halfe a pound of Razins of the Sunne, stone
them and mingle them together, and season them with Sugar, Rosewater,
and Nutmegge, wet these things in foure Egges, and stirre them very
tenderly for breaking the Bread: then put it into a Dish, and pricke
three or foure pieces of Marrow, and some sliced Dates: put it into an
Ouen hot enough for a Chewet: if your Ouen be too hot, it will burne:
if too colde, it will be heauy: when it is bakte scrape on Sugar, and
serue it hot at dinner, but not at Supper.

[Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin, V. Armstrong (trans.)]
44 To make a wine pudding. Take grated bread crumbs, brown them in fat
until they become crisp, put in good wine and egg yolks in it and
sweeten to taste.

54 To make an egg pudding. Beat eggs and milk together and brown bread
crumbs in fat and pour the milk and eggs therein, and let it cook and
salt it.

127 A good bread pudding. Take grated white bread, stir it in a pan
with meat broth and let it cook together, so that it becomes a mushy.
After that take four egg yolks, which have been beaten with cold broth,
and let it cook together.

136 A bread tart. Take white bread and grate it, take cream, stir it
together, so that it becomes thick like a pudding. Take six egg yolks,
beat them well and with spices thereon, put everything together in a
pastry shell, and bake it like other tarts.

- Doc