[Sca-cooks] A college class... on Coffee

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Feb 27 20:04:09 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I dunno, maybe you're reversing something in your logical sequence. I
> don't think these were holiday dishes/beverages in period, but have
> since become associated with them. It's kind of like, how many
> non-SCAdians make gingerbread in the summertime? I think it may be
> more likely that we remember our old traditions around the holiday
> season.
>
> Adamantius

That really does make sense, at least for our modern, nuclear families. If
you think about it, when do families actually get together, with the older
members making treats for everyone?

I mean, how many of us have pulled taffy, or roasted chestnuts, or any of a
number of things that used to be quite commonly done throughout the year,
when I was a kid (well, chestnuts were a late fall thing, but that was
because of the season for them)?

Of course, there were other odd traditions that I normally wouldn't admit
to- the dignified senators widow, who taught me to shoot watermelon seeds at
passing waiters ;-) or the scion of the Fish family, who used to sneak me
whiskey sours at parties;-), but there are a lot of family type traditions
which become considered holiday traditions, not because they were
necessarily _always_ done during the holidays, but rather because that's the
only time young kids ever see them.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.