[Sca-cooks] Odd looking things in paintings

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 10:53:21 PST 2005

That does look like a cheese, which seems oddly out of place at a
butcher's shop but who can say?  It's "white meat" and animal based
protein source anyway.

"Pâté" by definition would be paste, or pastry.  The coverings could be
wax, although tallow, lard or some other animal fat seems more likely in
a butcher's shop where such things are rendered anyway.

It's all speculation until we get that time machine and go back for a
taste test.  Hee.