[Sca-cooks] Re: Odd looking things in paintings

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 28 12:41:30 PST 2005

Greetings.  The "odd looking things" pointed out in this painting (Here
they're on the tray on the
table...http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/images/aria/sk/z/sk-a-3.z) look just like
the items in Pieter Aertson's "Meat Pantry of an Inn, with the Virgin
Giving Alms".  The art book that I have says that they are "pies".  The
pastry appears to be hand-shaped rather than done in a pan or form.
Aertson paints at least two different kinds, but they are the same culinary
item (I think!) as in the picture cited above.  While I can't swear that
they are custard, they look custard-y.

While the second picture in question
(http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/images/aria/sk/z/sk-a-4821.z) doesn't ask about
the cheeses, similar cheeses are throughout Dutch paintings.  The one art
book comments "the dark cheese in the stack might be sheep's cheese,
colored with sheep's feces".  Have a nice lunch!

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/