[Sca-cooks] List of period sausage recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 23:53:56 PST 2005

Old Marian replied to me with:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Before, or along with such a list [of sausage recipes], I think you
> > need to define just what
> > you mean by "sausage" and what and what is not included. Is haggis a
> > sausage for this, for instance? Does it hav to be in a casing?
>
> Haggis *is* made in a casing -- it's just that the casing is a
> stomach instead of an intestine.
Okay, I should have been more specific and said "intestine" instead of
casing. But I've often seen "sausage" at least today, sold without a
casing, at all. And I think I remember some medieval sausage-like
recipes which were stuffed into something besides the stomach or the
intestine.

So, for this period sausage list, should it contain things like a
haggis? What is the difference between simply ground meat and sausage?
What is the dividing line between a pudding and a sausage, at least for
such a list?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas