[Sca-cooks] List of period sausage recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jan 23 06:50:28 PST 2005

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Old Marian replied to me with:
>>Stefan li Rous wrote:
>>>  Before, or along with such a list [of sausage recipes], I think you
>>>  need to define just what
>>>  you mean by "sausage" and what and what is not included. Is haggis a
>>>  sausage for this, for instance? Does it hav to be in a casing?
>>
>>Haggis *is* made in a casing -- it's just that the casing is a
>>stomach instead of an intestine.
>Okay, I should have been more specific and said "intestine" instead of casing.

I'd say in general, it _ought_ to be in a casing. Not necessarily
small intestine, and not without exceptions. (See zampone, stuffed
into a boned-out pig's foot and hock, or the ones stuffed into large
intestines, or bologna, fer generic deity's sakes, stuffed into body
parts polite people don't talk about. And that's not to mention
artificial casings made of cloth or collagen.)

>  But I've often seen "sausage" at least today, sold without a casing, at all.

For the most part, I'd say this is adoption by extension. "Sausage"
as an abbreviation for "Sausage Meat", the meat you stuff into
sausages.

>  And I think I remember some medieval sausage-like recipes which
>were stuffed into something besides the stomach or the intestine.

I assume so. They're out there.

>So, for this period sausage list, should it contain things like a haggis?

In my opinion, yes.

>  What is the difference between simply ground meat and sausage?

Traditionally, and, again, with some exceptions, sausages tend to
differ from ordinary ground or chopped meat in three key areas I can
think of: seasoning [the word "sausage" seems to derive from roots
referring to salt, and it is arguable as to whether the sole purpose
for the salt is preservative], fat content [fresh or dry, the fat
both improves the texture of a sausage, adds fat to the diet of those
that need it, central heating being a new thing, comparatively, and
excludes air and therefore preserves], and the presence of a casing,
which holds the meat together as it cooks or cures, keeps bugs and
dust out of it, etc.

>  What is the dividing line between a pudding and a sausage, at least
>for such a list?

I talked a little about this earlier, and the short answer (HAH!!!)
is that there is no clear dividing line. If the terminology all came
from the same language, animals all had the same body parts differing
only in size, and climates and natural resources were the same all
over the world, we'd have a hope of some sort of unilateral system of
nomenclature and definition -- but we don't. It might also help if we
had a universally and multi-culturally accepted (doubtless at some
World Sausage Summit) sausage version of the Rheinheitsgebot, legally
defining a sausage and what it can contain, but we don't ;-).

_IN GENERAL_, and as always, not without exceptions, sausages tend to
be made from meat, fat (ideally from the same animal the meat comes
from, but this isn't always so), salt and spices.

_IN GENERAL_, the sausagey entities we know as puddings (the
derivation of this word not being helpfully designed by period
etymologists to help us distinguish them from sausages, and this of
course is our big problem, but it may or may not be, originally, a
reference to guts), tend to have a significant non-meat content. So,
for example, they may have everything a typical sausage has, plus
blood, or they may contain fat, onions, grain and seasonings but no
muscle meat. They may contain cream or eggs, or both, or a mixture of
cooked and raw meats. Generally they tend to be less highly seasoned
than the sausages from the same culture (which doesn't mean they're
bland), possibly because they also tend to be made from the animal
portions which don't preserve as well. For whatever reason, they
tend, usually, not to be made to last as long as meat sausages.
Whether this is because it's ultimately impossible, or simply not
necessary, I can't say.

Again, I can't stress too highly the fact that every rule here has
some exceptions, but think of yourself slaughtering a pig, and you
want to use every last scrap. There's a description of this very
thing in Le Menagier, or if you want photos there's always the
Foxfire books showing the same thing, pretty much, and I'm pretty
sure you've got it in the Florilegium, in fact.

Anyway, the point is you've got all this meat, and fat, and blood,
and guts, and your plan is to turn all this into as much usable food
as you possibly can. What do you do? After you've salted hams and put
the salt pork up, you eventually have to deal with the small and
large intestines, which get processed to deslime their interiors,
washed free of blood, defatted, etc. You then make them into
sausages. The meat types can be eaten fresh, of course, but they can
also be kept for quite a while, so since you don't plan on a hunger
strike in February and March (Lent notwithstanding -- okay, say
December and January), you make your meat sausages to last. You
dry-salt the stuffing mixture, or brine the finished sausages, and
eventually hang them up to dry in the wind, the warm air near the
fire, or in the smoke. You then still have intestines to use up, and
some meats, things like liver, additional fat, blood, and maybe a
spleen or some lungs, to deal with. From these you make puddings,
which are either eaten immediately, or slightly dried in a cool
place, to be eaten soon. Some of them respond well to preservation in
rendered fat, and you can even salt pieces of liver or spleen, cook
them in rendered fat, and pot them to exclude air (this process may
not have been widely practiced in period).

In general, though, all I can really say for sure about the
differences between sausages and puddings is that form follows
function, which, in turn, follows form. If you know what I mean...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04