[Sca-cooks] period salad dressings

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 18:22:12 PST 2005

Anahita replied to me with:
> > Perhaps the one below, which you posted last year, is this recipe?
> Indeed that's it!
Good.
> Thanks! i lost all messages i'd saved in the fatal drive crash of
> late February 2004.
I'm glad I could be of help.
> And along with the Andalusian Mustard Sauce, i made an olive oil-wine
> vinegar-murri dressing, as suggested in many recipes. I used Japanese
> soy sauce in place of murri, based on Charles Perry's remarks that he
> made murri *from scratch* the fermented barley way, and that it
> tasted like soy sauce. I note that several recipes in the Andalusian
> cookbook said NOT to use "fake" murri (i really need to check the
> exact wording, since that is not it). I added smashed garlic, not
> onion, since i decided to do it at the last minute and didn't have
> any more onions on hand, but did have garlic. I thought it was great
> on the lamb.
So, you had your salad dressing on your lamb? :-)
Could you (or anyone else) give the original description/recipe for
this salad dressing. I remember references to oil and vinegar salad
dressing, but I don't remember much about additional ingredients.

Does anyone else have some references to specific period salad
dressings? I've got a fairly large salad file in the Florilegium.
Perhaps it would be nice to have a companion, salad-dressings-msg file
if enough of such things exist.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas