[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 20, Issue 114

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Wed Jan 26 04:59:56 PST 2005

Ru asked:

> I like the roaster idea though - did you heat them with butter or just with the oil that was on them?

We just used the oil that was on them.  After they were heated, we did add a
panful of onions sauteed in butter, so that brought some butter flavor as
well.  I'm not sure that applying the oil was entirely necessary in the
first place.  Once they were shocked and cooled, they didn't seem to be
sticking to each other, but I didn't want to take the chance of getting up
the next morning and finding a massive, solidified block of dough in my
bucket...

In hindsight, I think we could have used 2 roasters.  The amount I made
pretty much filled the entire roaster, which made for some careful stirring
on my part so they didn't go flying all over the kitchen!  Plus, I think it
probably took longer for them to heat since the roaster was so full.

My mother had suggested reheating them with butter in a roasting pan in the
oven - it just worked out that the ovens were in use and we used the roaster
instead.  I'd think either way would work just fine.  You do have to be
careful of temperature so they don't burn or brown, unless that's what
you're going for (mmm, spaetzle sauteed in butter...)

I think it's a good idea to make them ahead, especially for large quantities
like this.  I can't imagine wanting to spend several hours over a boiling
pot of water in the kitchen on feast day.

 -Helena