[Sca-cooks] Jallab

smcclune at earthlink.net smcclune at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 11:12:33 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Lonnie D. Harvel:
>There was a bottle of something labeled "Jallab Syrup".  The
>information was in Arabic, and the owner was busy with other
>customers so I didn't want to bother him. Is this one of the syrups
>that are used to make beverages?
<<<

Yes, it is!  One of our local middle eastern restaurants (we have five within about a mile) serves a jallab drink.  It is served cold and comes sprinkled with pine nuts on top.  The flavor is ... well, the best way I have of describing it is as a rich, somewhat thicker and fruitier version of Dr. Pepper, only without the carbonation.  (I know, it doesn't sound very good, but really, it is!)

A friend of mine found bottles of jallab drink in the middle eastern market (one of two within that same 1-mile area), and bought a couple.  The shop's proprietor, seeing what she had purchased, carefully wrapped up some pine nuts in a screw of waxed paper and solemnly presented them to her to put on her drink, because "it will make you happy."  We still grin about that ... because he was right!

However, I have no idea what goes into jallab.  I just know it's good stuff.

Arwen
Caerthe, Outlands
(Denver, CO)