[Sca-cooks] Nanny Ogg's cookbook (was Re: OT pie floaters)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 28 13:14:29 PST 2005

I found a review of the book here:

http://www.sfsite.com/04b/noc102.htm

Hank Luttrell says in the review:
" ... the subtitle reads: "A useful and improving Almanack of Information including Astonishing Recipes from      Terry Pratchett's Discworld." The byline (a little hard to find, on the back cover) says that Pratchett is the      senior author. As for the other names, Stephen Briggs is a frequent collaborator with Pratchett and adapter of his Discworld works. I      suspect that Tina Hannan might have helped the recipes make sense, and Paul Kidby is, of course, the (wonderful) artist.

     My theory is that Briggs and Hannan organized and roughed out the book, and Pratchett then revised, polished      and added jokes. This makes efficient use of Pratchett's time. We all want that, since we are all waiting for the      next novel. On its own, this book actually is a very good and funny addition to the Discworld library.

     Another of my thoughts about the book was that I didn't really recall that much stuff in the books about food. But      then, we all have to eat -- even characters in books. Most of the larger cookbook section is organized like a community      or church group cookbook, with recipes contributed by various well-known personalities, and in this case, Discworld      characters we will all recognize. The recipes are based on the characterizations in the novels, and frequently      make use of plot details. As well-remembered character after character steps forward with a recipe, it becomes clear      that food really does show up a lot in the Discworld books. Lord Vetinari contributes a recipe on      avoiding poisoning. Mrs. Colon has a curry, but because of Sergeant Colon's dislike of anything "foreign" in this      recipe, curry powder is optional. Mention is made of another Colon favourite, fried sushi. Sergeant      Angua's Vegetable Stew is a testament to the trials of being a vegetarian werewolf. The first thing I thought      of when I considered Discworld recipes was Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler's Sausage Inna Bun. Here it is noted      that "It is not good etiquette to look at one of his sausages and say 'woof woof!' or 'neighhh!'" "

Enjoy!

Gianotta