[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jan 1 20:51:40 PST 2005

Also sprach Martin G. Diehl:
>OTOH, I want to know about Bell Peppers in potato salad --
>just when did that become OK?  Never saw them there while
>growing up, but now sometimes see more bits of green pepper
>than potato (almost).

Obviously you've been remiss. Ceaseless vigilance is the price of
liberty, after all.

I didn't know there were such strict rules for potato salad. One of
the best I've had included tiny haricots vert

>  For that matter, when did Italian peppers go out of fashion
>as a key ingredient in 'Italian Sausage and peppers'?

You mean, in proportion to onion? Or thin-walled Italian "frying"
peppers, in lieu of Bell peppers, concerning which I suspect it's a
matter of shelf life and convenience of transportation? It may be
that Bell peppers have a longer growing season, or a perceived longer
season because they survive better being thrown into crates and being
shipped all over the place in refrigerated railroad cars and such.
Somewhat akin to the mysterious phenomenon in which tomatoes in
low-quality restaurants never seem to be ripe.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04