[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 2 05:34:07 PST 2005

Martin G. Diehl wrote:

>Anne wrote:
>

>Now there's an interesting dish -- meatloaf.  How many
>variations on that exist?!
>
>Juliane Rose
>

>Sure it's OK to talk about meatloaf.  I _like_ meatloaf.
>
>OTOH, I want to know about Bell Peppers in potato salad --
>just when did that become OK?  Never saw them there while
>growing up, but now sometimes see more bits of green pepper
>than potato (almost).
>
>For that matter, when did Italian peppers go out of fashion
>as a key ingredient in 'Italian Sausage and peppers'?
>
>[snip]
>
>Vincenzo

Hmmmmm....never saw bell peppers in potato salad, but I still make a
dish I sort of adapted from a dish served at a wonderful Italian
restaurant in Richmond, VA (doesn't exist anymore, worst luck!!), where
I cook up Italian sausage, then saute green peppers and onion in a
little olive oil and fresh garlic, put the whole works back together
with red wine, some basil and oregano and cook until the veggies are
tender.  Then I serve this over pasta.  I've never really had a real
recipe for this, just tried to figure out how the restaurant did it.

So far as meatloaf is concerned, I also use a mix of ground beef (lean),
pork and veal.  I add oatmeal, eggs, salt and pepper and chopped
onions...pack it into a casserole dish, top with a liberal amount of
catsup and sprinkle with parsley.  It's great for dinner...and we also
like to make sandwiches with the left-overs.  This is something that my
sweetie really likes and asks for frequently.  If I use regular oats
rather than quick, then it's also on our diet...though cheating a little
because of the amount of fat in the pork and beef.

Kiri