[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 08:57:02 PST 2005

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:08:52 EST, Bronwynmgn at aol.com <Bronwynmgn at aol.com> wrote:

> Interesting.
> I've lived my entire life in south eastern and south central Pennsylvania,
> as have both my parents and a number of my other relatives, and I have NEVER
> heard stuffed green peppers referred to as anything other than stuffed peppers
> (and at least in my house they got stuffed with a mixture of browned ground
> beef  and cooked rice), nor green peppers as anything other than either green
> or bell  peppers.  Never ever heard them referred to as "mangos".
> The first time I ever saw or ate a mango (the real kind) was several years
> after I graduated from college and had moved to Lancaster; one of my roommates
> used to buy them periodically.
>
> Brangwayna

It is a northern PA thing.  I grew up eating  and growing Mangos (no e) all the
time.  I think there is some credibility to the pickles theory, 'cause when my
Dad was a kid, they used to make pickled peppers from them so they would
keep.  (My Dad's family didn't get a fridge until he was 18 and moving out).
If I remember right anyway.

I am maybe 30 minutes from the Coal Regions here (techincally I grew
up in it), and my Mom's side of the family hails from the coal regions
of PA (Summit Hill, PA baby!)

I'll do some more digging while I am here to see what I can find out.  I know
my Great Aunt may have the recipe for the pickles still.   There is a russian
town named Mango - but I haven't been able to see if they grow anything there
or may be the source for the pickles.

Cadoc
(who just found something intersting to do while he is in Northern PA)

                                    - William Gibson