[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green Peppers and Mangoes

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 09:07:25 PST 2005

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:36:15 -0600, Terry Decker
<t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> According to the OED, a mango is a pickle usually of melons or cucumbers
> (1699).  The verb form of mango, "to pickle like a green mango," dates from
> 1728.  While the OED doesn't seem to specify, these seem to be sweet
> pickles.
>
> Bear

I personaly despise them but sweet pickles are very popular in
central PA.

I found this online that seems to be what my Dad was talkin about:

from:
http://www.20kweb.com/recipes/pickles.html

MANGO PICKLES
[In this recipe, the term "mango" refers to green bell peppers.] Use
either small muskmelons or sweet peppers; take out the insides, and
lay them in strong salt water twenty-four hours; drain well. For
filling, cut cabbage fine; salt it; let it stand one hour; wash with
clear water, and drain well; add celery seed and ground cinnamon to
taste. Fill the mangoes; tie closely; pack in stone jars. Then to one
gallon of good cider vinegar, add three pounds of brown sugar; heat,
and pour over the mangoes; repeat the heating of vinegar two or three
mornings in succession.

I am heading out to his house today to see what he can remember and maybe
see if he can get my Great Aunt to remember.  I don't remember it using whole
peppers though (from when I was a kid).

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson