[Sca-cooks] spice prices due to disaster (was black pepper wars)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 15:55:46 PST 2005

As one who has dealt with wholesale spice prices on a regular basis, my experience has been, give them an excuse, and they will raise prices. ;o(  (More than a bit like gas prices.)  I don't want to cause any sort of panic on the list, but when you are purchasing your spices, it would be a good time to pick up an extra one of things you use a lot.  Don't go out and purchase more than you could ever use, just an extra bag, jar or whatever.  We all like working with really fresh stuff, but it is probable that all spice prices will rise, not only those grown in the affected region.

Samrah

 Adamantius wrote:

[snipped]

It's also possible that somebody has sufficient warehouses full of whole spices that the world market can absorb the effects of these disastrous times without a total cessation of product flow.