[Sca-cooks] spice prices due to disaster (was black pepper wars)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 18:40:11 PST 2005

Also sprach Samrah:
>As one who has dealt with wholesale spice prices on a regular basis,
>my experience has been, give them an excuse, and they will raise
>prices. ;o(  (More than a bit like gas prices.)  I don't want to
>cause any sort of panic on the list, but when you are purchasing
>your spices, it would be a good time to pick up an extra one of
>things you use a lot.  Don't go out and purchase more than you could
>ever use, just an extra bag, jar or whatever.  We all like working
>with really fresh stuff, but it is probable that all spice prices
>will rise, not only those grown in the affected region.

Surely. Quantity supplied to the world market by world producers will
drop, and even if demand stays the same, prices will rise. But that's
not really what I was talking about. I'd be shocked if prices didn't
rise dramatically, but I also think a lot of that is going to show
itself most in the quarter-gram-of-saffron for six bucks sector...
I'm sure my spices that I buy by the half-pound, pound or kilo at the
Indian supermarket will go up, but the real killer will be for the
folks who buy at Wegman's...

Adamantius