[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Jan 5 06:56:12 PST 2005

I ran across a recipe one time, years ago, for making "soft" hard cider
(something with a really low alcohol content), and it involved buying a
jug of the unpasteurized apple cider (in the U.S., Mel, that's an
unfermented beverage distinct from apple *juice*), taking the lid off,
and plugging the neck of the jug loosely with a couple of cotton balls.
  And letting it sit on your counter for a few days.  Cotton balls
prevent the ingress of dust and other nasties.  I tried it one time and
it actually works, but I can get hard cider in a couple of versions that
aren't bad in just about any local grocery store, so I tend not to
bother with the homemade.
Best hard cider I ever had was Canadian, though.  Next time I'm in the
UK, I *definitely* want to try some over there.
--maire