[Sca-cooks] Feasts Per Year

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 13:49:26 PST 2005

Samrah wrote:
>  How about a sound-off by kingdom as to how many feasts per year (kingdom,
>  baronial, shire, whatever), how many served & price per plate?

Here's what i know of. Comments are based in part on personal
experience, memories from previous event copy, and info from the West
Kingdom Calendar
http://www.westkingdom.org/calendar/Calendar0405.html

Note i've been in the SCA 5-1/2 years and from spring of 1999 to the
fall of 2000 i had no car and only attended limited events, and in
2004 i had a lot of car trouble and only attended limited events. So
I have attended a limited number of non-Kingdom, non-Principality of
the Mists, non-Province of the Mists events.

ATTENDANCE - varies. Small ones are for 30-50, large ones (by our
standards) for 70-100.

COST - varies. Good ones cost attendees about $15 (which includes
site fee) and the cooks get to spend about $7/head; some are $7 (i
don't know what the cooks get to spend of this).

NUMBER - looks like there's an average of three feasts per month
within the kingdom.

WEST KINGDOM - No Feasts, None (although sometimes there's a period
pot-luck lunch at the Collegia (when we have them)

PRINCIPALITY OF THE MISTS (NoCal Coastal region) - Three feasts -
sometimes four
-- MAY - Spring Investiture (60-80)
-- SEPT - Bardic Competition and Feast (60-100)
-- NOV - Fall Investiture (60 - it usually rains and it's dark so
many folks leave before the meal)
One Fall Investiture autocrat had us twice cook for an estimated 100
attendees, but there has never been that many in the 5 years of them
i've attended.
-- COLLEGIUM - when there is one (when the is no Kingdom collegium in
the Principality) there IS a feast for 60-100

PRINCIPALITY OF CYNAGUA (NoCal Central Valley, Sierra Mountains, plus
a bit of NoNevada)
None i know of - doesn't mean there are none
(their Winter and Summer Investitures are camping events)
I will be cooking a private Cynaguan feast for about a dozen

PRINCIPALITY OF OERTHA (Alaska)
two investitures... i'm not sure about others

LOWER LEVELS
There are MANY feasts on the Shire, Province, Barony, and Canton
level. Most of the ones that serve food set a 50 attendee limit, but
some like the Province of the Mists Boar Hunt can serve between
70-100 (which i've assisted once, head cooked twice and attended
twice).

The Principality of the Mists contains three baronies (one of which
has four cantons), seven shires, two provinces, and two colleges.

The Principality of Cynagua contains two baronies, fourteen shires,
two provinces, and one college.

The Principality of Oertha contains three baronies, one canton, and
one college listed on the West Kingdom website, but it looks like
there may be more subdivisions.

The Marches are within the Kingdom, but not within any Principality.
Some of these areas may be somewhat restricted in their activities,
especially those located on military bases. There's a Barony in
Alaska, two in Northern California (one has a college, one has a
canton), and one for the whole Pacific Rim (which has one canton,
three strongholds and one vale). There are also two shires in The
Marches in NoCal.

I don't know if the Canton - now Incipient Shire - of Pavlovsk Gavann
is in the Principality of Oertha or the Barony of Earngyld in The
Marches.

Below is a list of events that have or may have a feast
-- I have included potlucks, because they are common
-- I may have made errors in what is listed.

-------

January 2005
-- Coronet Tournament - Principality of Oertha
-- Hawks' Feast and Archery Tourney - Canton of Hawks Haven (in the Mists)

February 2005
-- Lupercalia - Barony of Allyshia (in The Marches)
-- Brigid's Feast - Hrafnsfjordr (in Oertha) - POTLUCK
-- Sweethearts' Feast - Fendrake Marsh (in Cynagua)
-- Heart Revel - Barony of Winter's Gate (in Oertha) - POTLUCK
-- The Saint David's Day Feast - College of St. David's (in the Mists)
-- Huntsman's Ball - Beast Valley (in Oertha)

March 2005
-- White Shield Tourney and Feast - Barony of Darkwood (in the Mists)
-- Court of Love - Canton of Borderwinds (in The Marches in California)

April 2005
-- Fools' Revel - Barony of Selveirgard (in Oertha)
-- La Prova Dura (The Ordeal) - Shire of Canale (in Cynagua)
-- Fantastic Fairy Tale Fete - Incipient Shire of Pavlovsk Gavann (in Alaska)
-- Westermark Anniversary Feast: Capulets vs. Montagues - Barony of
the Westermark (in the Mists)

-- Fools' Crusade - Shire of Ravenshore (in The Marches in California)
no info if there's a feast

---== AFTER THIS POINT ==---
NO OFFICIAL INFO ON EVENTS. JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
NOT ALL EVENTS LISTED HAVE FEASTS, BUT I HAVE NO INFO AS TO WHICH DO

May 2005
-- Poachers' Feast - Canton of Caer Darth (in the Mists)
potluck, canton supplies the meat

-- Mists Investiture - Principality of the Mists
feast

-- Collegium Occidentalis - Kingdom of the West
might have a period potluck lunch

-- Baronial Birthday/Spring Offensive - Barony of Selveirgard (in Oertha)
no info

June 2005
-- Phoenix Rising-Charity Feast and Pas - Canton of Caer Darth (in the Mists)
-- 20th Anniversary Tournament and Feast - Canton of Montaigne du Roi
(in the Mists)
-- Summer Hunt - Beast Valley (in Oertha) may include a feast

July 2005
Oertha Coronet and Investiture - Principality of Oertha - includes a feast

Arts and Sciences Tournament - Kingdom of the West
No feast, but will have a cooking competition

Torneo e Convito - Province of the Silver Desert (in Cynagua)

August 2005
-- Performing Arts Fete - Shire of Ecorngill (in the Mists)
-- Mid-summer's Night Revel - Shire of Fendrake Marsh (in Cynagua)
-- Midsummer's Night Feast - Barony of Fettburg (in Cynagua)

Who's Afraid of Beowulf? - Hrafnsfjordr (in Oertha) - no info
Debardchery - Shire of Cloondara (in the Mists) - uh, err, don't remember

September 2005
Mists Bardic Competition and Feast - Principality of the Mists

Punkin' Chunkin' - Barony of Eskalya (in Oertha) - no idea...

October 2005
-- Michaelmass - Barony of Winter's Gate (in Oertha)
-- All Hallows - Barony of Vinhold (in the Mists)
-- Baroness' Masked Ball - Barony of Darkwood (in the Mists)

-- Collegium Occidentalis - Kingdom of the West
may have period pot luck lunch

November 2005
--Harvest Feast - Shire of Fendrake Marsh (in Cynagua)
--Mists Investiture - Principality of the Mists
--Anniversary Banquet - Province of Golden Rivers (in Cynagua)
--Yule - Beast Valley (in Oertha)

Turkey Tourney - Canton of Hawks' Haven (in the Mists)
i think this includes a feast, but i'm not sure

December 2005
--Jingles - Province of Southern Shores (in the Mists)
--Yule - Barony of Fettburg (in Cynagua)
--Boar Hunt - Province of the Mists (in the Mists)
--Yule - Barony of Winter's Gate (in Oertha)