[Sca-cooks] bidding for feasts

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Fri Jan 14 09:06:26 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:44:49 -0500
  Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> Well, there's two levels of bidding, generally, for
>events. First,
> there's the bid to the local group; then, IFF it's a
>kingdom-level
> event, a bid goes to the crown. Obviously, for a kingdom
>event bid, you
> want your cook lined up.
>
> However, for local events, having several people put in
>a bid to the
> autocrat to run the feast or other meal makes it easier
>for newer people
> to get a chance to cook an event

quite often, in our area, we will mentor someone who wants
to do a feast by making them the drop dead assistant to an
experienced feast coordinator/cook.
sometimes, the mentor will do grunt work in the
fledgling's kitchen when the fledgling gets their
opportunity to be in charge.  works well.

i think the standard here is for an autocrat to find a
feast coordinator they can work with, or vice versa, and
they submit their bid as a team.

at midwinter, my husband (autocrat) and i mentored a team
who will be putting in a bid for next year.  al-barran
(and sanely so) tries to get a flow of mentor/next bidder
for all large events.  it doesn't guarantee you will get
the bid, but it adds some chops to the resume to have that
'second in command' experience.

cailte
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
University of New Mexico
Office of Freshman Admisions