[Sca-cooks] bidding for feasts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 11:21:51 PST 2005

There is no bidding for feasts in The West.

The autocrat usually asks someone to be head cook, or someone lets it
be known that they'd like to cook a feast, or someone who wants to
head cook tracks down the autocrat and offers to cook. Branches often
pick someone from their midst during a Shire meeting.

At least that's what i can tell.

I never volunteered to cook a feast - i was always asked. The first
time, only because i was the only "adult" helping at a feast where
most of the cooks were college students, so the seneschal of the
province asked me (without know whether i could really cook) to cook
the feast the next year, since i'd likely be around then.

After that feast, i seemed to develop something of a reputation for
making good food.

As cook you're told what the budget is, pretty much based on what has
been spent in previous years.

I didn't head cook any feasts in 2004, although i helped at one or
two. And until i get my back and feet working better, i think it best
if i don't head cook. I did cook for the double vigil, but that was
only six dishes and two beverages for 50, and i had help making 3 of
those dishes.

Anahita