[Sca-cooks] OOP: Chinese Cook Book

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 11:57:52 PST 2005

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> So, i've got six Chinese cookbooks. Bought 'em back in the late 60s
> and throughout the 70s. All are by Chinese authors. Among them are
> "encyclopedia", Dim Sum, vegetarian, regional survey, Szechuan. Time
> to update the library.

Try "The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook" by Gloria Bley Miller.  There is a large number of very
authentic recipes in this book, from a number of different regions, and all are very well written
and easy to follow.  I consider this to be the 'bible' of Chinese Cooking for the modern American
cook, because it provides the cultural, as well as technical reasons for the way certain foods
were/are prepared in China.  Substitutions are limited, and the author urges you to go out and
find the ingredients which makes a number of these dishes so special.

Very good book.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.