[Sca-cooks]Feasts Per Year

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Jan 16 06:58:42 PST 2005

> Thanks Lord Christopher!  That's a big help.  And you do have good turnouts for Events.  I have heard folks in the East travel greater distances than here, but 3-1/2 hours for a day Event is a goodly journey.  Especially in the Los Angeles area where folks used to be able to find an Event every weekend, many within 30 minutes to an hour of their homes.  How wondrous that some folks can reach SCA Events via subway...  We just pack up our camels and head south usually, but sometimes westish...
>
> Samrah who drives by landmark and is often directionally impaired, but who has driven and navigated the 16 hr+ trek to the Outlands on more than one occasion

Ok, I'm living in the Shire of Eisental in the East,
Allentown/Bethlehem/easton PA, about 1 hour from NY or Philadelphia.
We used to do up to 7 events a year, we've cut back, because we started
to get overloaded. We have about 40-60 active members, and a good core
of 20 or so who will show up to do the heavy lifting at any given event.
Traditionally, we started with doing 2-3 camping events a year. The
biggest one has no feast, but does have a day=long dayboard and a
sideboard for court (about 700 attendees). We used to do feasts at every
event but now only do them at themed events and camping events, because
while we have no trouble finding cooks (in fact, in 11 years in the
shire, I've done countless dayboards but never a feast), we have a lot
of trouble finding dishwashers, and with the growth of our under-2
contingent that's getting worse and worse!

So this year our group will probably do about 4-5 events, of which 1 or
2 will have feasts. We hover around $5 to $7 a head for feast-- pretty
standard for the PA part of the Southern Region.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The tumult and the shouting dies/ The captains and the kings depart
And we are left with large supplies / Of cold blancmange and
	rhubarb tart." -- Ronald Knox