[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef America

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 09:42:48 PST 2005

>I didn't like the fact that they picked which iron chef would perform, not
>the challenger.  I felt like they were stacking the deck.

I didn't care much for that either. Even though it was all arranged ahead of
time in the Japanese version, the declaration of challenge was always a bit
of a thrill.

>See, I feel it should have at best been a tie.  I felt that Booby should
>have lost at
>least a point for the taste because of the toughness comments.  There is no
>way
>they should have gotten the same taste score given that the first 2 of his
>dishes
>tanked.

I would have agreed with this but there were unfavorable comments on
Rick's dishes as well. Although I kind of disagreed with one point in which
the judges said a dish seemed too bland. I would have deliberately put a
bland dish in to counter all the highly spiced ones the tasters encountered.
It seemed to be almost equal amount of raves and pans on both entries.
It's obvious that the cooks are new to this format and there are bound to
be mis-steps just like in the earlier Japanese battles.

But Bobby's presentation and creativity were better than Rick's. Loathe as I
am
to say that. He's still a whiny little pissant, though.

>Yah - Booby vs Rachel Ray in the Eggplant Battle!  I want to see it.  Think
>they take suggestions?

Much as I like Rachel (hell, I could marry the girl....) I don't think she'd
fare well in
a battle against "real" cooks. But she would have an advantage in making
dishes in
an hour.

Nigella Lawson would kick his ass. And look good doing it.

>Ru (see, not dead, just been in grad school.....)

Nice to hear from you again. I was beginning to wonder.

Gunthar