[Sca-cooks] bagels

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Jan 19 03:07:28 PST 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Johnna Holloway wrote:
> >
> > Martin G. Diehl wrote:
> > >
> > > Bagels, bagels, bagels ...
> > > But why not so much about Bialys?
> > >
> > > Vincenzo
> >
> > But the book is done on those--
> > The Bialy Eaters by Mimi Sheraton
> >
> > Johnnae
>
> Um, okay. But what exactly is a "Bialys"?

You mean 'Bialy'.  "Bialys" is plural.

> Is this something similar to a bagel?

"Picture [has equal value] 1000 words"

"The Cook's Thesaurus" entry for breads;
http://www.foodsubs.com/Bread.html
[please see my comments about this site, below]

Similar only in that they are both part of the Jewish
cuisine.  Other than that, they are quite different.

> If so, how does it differ from a bagel?

Differences ...

(1) topology: all of the bagels I have ever seen are torus
shaped -- center hole goes all the way through; a bialy is
a disk shape that is flat on the bottom with a dimple on
the top.

See 'torus' here;
http://www.massey.math.neu.edu/Massey/lay_sing/torus.JPG

[see torus in context]
"What's a singularity?";
http://www.massey.math.neu.edu/Massey/lay_sing/layman_sing.html

Important note: this 'singularity' web page has links to
both static and dynamic images of each topological form
under discussion there.  Translation, I don't want to hear
anyone say or think (yes, I will _know_ <g>) that the
mathematics of 3 or more dimensions is too difficult to
visualize and/or 'not our concern'.  False, these various
shapes affect cooking time; storage volume; and shelf life.

As far as a topologist is concerned, a coffee cup and a
donut have the same shape -- a torus;
http://math.arizona.edu/~models/Topology/source/2.html

The standard "joke" is that a topologist confuses his
coffee cup for the donut;
http://comp.uark.edu/~strauss/sym.2/sym.4.2.html

As a side note, the author of the 'Singularity' page talks
of singularity research where they investigate the
properties of objects described in more than 3 dimensions;
e.g. string theory AKA super string theory is 'visualized'
in 11 dimensions.

You may also recall that small Cornish village Trepanning
describes itself as "The world's first twelve dimensional
rural settlement." [see my earlier messages with subject,
"Coffee Mug [OT] [OoP] [HUMOR]"]  If anyone wants to know
how I brought these 2 discussion threads together, please
bring at least bleen pieces of 4 (or 5) dimensional graph
paper to our next meeting.  <g>

(2) Texture: a bagel is very dense with a fairly hard outer
surface [prior messages have described the methodology to
get this effect]; a bialy is soft with a slight crust
(browned surface, but still not as hard as the crust on
French or Italian bread).

(3) Seasoning: a bialy is always seasoned with a spiced
parboiled onion mixture placed into the dimple -- I have
never seen any other seasoning on a bialy; OTOH, a bagel
can be unseasoned, with seeds, e.g. sesame, poppy, etc.;
and also many variations in the dough: raison, cinnamon,
pumpernickel, etc. -- i.e. more taste = less authentic.

> Do all bagels have holes in them?

I think so ... I suppose someone could supply a
counterexample.

> Stefan

BTW, notice the pitfall in "The Cook's Thesaurus"  site
... they are far too ready to suggest a substitution -- as
though two items are equivalent even though they are merely
similar.

Here in their 'breads' entry, above, they claim that a
bialy and a bagel can substitute for each other.

Yesterday, while reviewing the capsicum peppers thread, I
searched for "Fagara pepper" ...

"The Cook's Thesaurus" entry for Asian Spices;
http://www.foodsubs.com/SpiceAsian.html

Look at the substitutions they suggest.  My suggestion is
to buy enough of the right spices in the first place.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick