[Sca-cooks] Sausage recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 23:56:07 PST 2005

   Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
> Just read something posted somewhere else about:
> "Actual period receipts for sausage may be few and far between"
>
> Off the top of my head, I can think of four different sources for
> sausage recipes...
They are certainly more common than medieval bread recipes.
I don't have time to go through and count them (and avoid duplicates)
but pretty much all period sausage recipes which I've seen
electronically can be found in this file:
sausages-msg     (128K)  1/10/03    Period sausages. Making sausage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/sausages-msg.html

But the stack of messages I've saved which have yet to be added to this
file adds at least six more.
Hmmm. Glancing through just the stuff to be added to this file shows
they are not "few and far between" in my opinion. There are at least
three different cultures included in those recipes. I will try to get
the sausage-msg file updated shortly if that is of interest.
> I think we may need to prepare a list of the
> different period sausage recipes out there?
Before, or along with such a list, I think you need to define just what
you mean by "sausage" and what and what is not included. Is haggis a
sausage for this, for instance? Does it have to be in a casing?

If someone wants to compile, or even better continue to maintain, such
a listing, I'd be glad to host it in the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com