[Sca-cooks] List of period sausage recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 22:14:02 PST 2005

Maire gave her 2 pence worth of comments about the questions I asked
about a listing of period sausage recipes and then commented:
> I think it would be handy, from a modern cook's standpoint, to include
> those recipes (or at least, references to them) that *we* might think
> of
> as "sausage" (whetherin a casing or not), but that the actual medieval
> cooks might not have.  I freely admit to being influenced by modern
> American cooking practices--I just don't think of something with meat
> in
> it as any sort of "pudding," and I doubt it would ever occur to me, if
> were doing research for a feast or dish, to look for meat recipes in a
> "pudding" list.
This is the kind of thing I often struggle with when deciding how and
where as well as how to name the files in the Florilegium. Although I
have both vegetarian and meat based haggis recipes in the haggis-msg
file, the file is in the FOOD-MEATS section because I suspect most
people will look for it there.

Thank you for the comments on the puddings. I do indeed have both sweet
and meat based puddings in the puddings-msg file. Perhaps when it grows
up I need to split off some of it into a meat-puddings-msg file or
puddings-msg and puddings-savory-msg files.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com