[Sca-cooks] Sausage recipes

henna hennar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:19:27 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:52:40 +0100, henna <hennar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:47:26 -0500, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
> <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > Just read something posted somewhere else about:
> > "Actual period receipts for sausage may be few and far between"
> >
> > Off the top of my head, I can think of four different sources for
> > sausage recipes... I think we may need to prepare a list of the
> > different period sausage recipes out there?
>
> I found sausages, and try to translate them (I doubt most ppl here
> understand dutch)
>
> Finne
>
> Eenen seer schoonen ende excellenten Cocboeck
> Carolus Battus, Dordrecht 1593
>
> 73 Om sausijskens te maken.
> Neemt versch verckenvleesch van de hammen oft hespen dat niet te vet
> en is. Cappet cleyn ende doet er dan sout, peperpoeder ende
> venckelzaedt in. Mengelet dan onder den anderen ende vollet dan in de
> darmen ende hangtse dan te droogen in den roock.
>
> To make sausages.
> Take fresh porcmeat of the hams wich is not to fat. Dice(litterally
> make it small) it and add
> sald, peper and fennelseed. Mix it and fill intestines and hang to dry
> in the smoke

borrowed a middle dutch dictionary for a bit:
rompen: bad nutmegnuts or chipped (broken) nutmeg
nootpoeder: powdered nutmeg

salie is the modern dutch for savie, and should have been translated as sage

revised version:

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"