[Sca-cooks] Plat was Sausage recipes

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Jan 25 15:21:59 PST 2005

"Lonnie D. Harvel" wrote:

> lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > there was no year 0 - just 1 BCE and 1 CE
> >
> In an attempt to explain to a friend why the year 2000
> was the end of the millennium and not the beginning of a
> new one, I pointed out that there was no year 0.

[snip]

> "The number zero had barely been invented,"I responded,
> "and Bede, though aware of it, chose not to us it in his
> dating system."  "Invented!" she declared. "Umm, yes," I
> responded tentatively, as she was growing quite agitated.
> Her consternation seemed to progress to a state bordering
> on horror. She ran away.

Next time, start with Frege's definition of number  ...

	Frege, Friedrich Ludwig Gottlob (1848-1925)

	A German mathematician and philosopher who virtually
	founded the modern discipline of mathematical logic.
	In Die Grundlagen der Arithmetik (1884), he used set
	theory to define the cardinal number of a given class
	as the class of all classes that are similar (i.e.
	can be placed in a one-to-one correspondence) to
	the given class.

> I am still amazed by this reaction. Apparently, the idea
> that numbers had been invented undermined her sense of
> reality.

It's a good thing you didn't mention 'bleen' -- The noted
author George Carlin once claimed that ...

	"The Nobel Prize in mathematics was awarded
	yesterday to a California professor who has
	discovered a new number. The number is "bleen",
	which he says belongs between six and seven."

> I finally understood why "breaching" experiments were
> generally banned.
>
> Aoghann

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick