[Sca-cooks] OT: on a tangential note -- "Chili Sauce"

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 09:24:33 PST 2005

>Does anyone have any insight to offer, since we've been speculating a
>bit about various alleged chili preparations, exactly what is the
>provenance and purpose of bottled "chili sauce"? I suspect the
>non-Americans on this list may not know the substance to which I
>refer...

I'm curious, too.

Heinz Chili Sauce was the favorite condiment of my father (of blessed
memory). It was kinda like ketchup mixed with pickle relish. He put
it on steak.

And my mom mixed it with mayonnaise to make Thousand Island Dressing.
(Now i know that there are more and better things in the real recipe,
like capers. Mmm-mmm-mmm, capers. My daughter liked capers so much i
used to give her a bottle in her Christmas stocking when she was
little (and i mean little - three, four, five.)

I don't recall seeing the stuff recently, but i don't buy ketchup at
the stupormarket, so i'm rarely on that aisle. It's way too sweet and
tastes to me like tomato-flavored syrup. I get Westbrae Unketchup
which has no sweeteners added - no sugar, no honey, no fruit juice.
And for Atkins people, it has the same carbs as the Atkins ketchup
and no weird ingredients.

I guess next time i'm in a stupormarket i'll see if i can find Chili Sauce.

Anahita
who was born in Chicago and whose father was born and raised in Chicago