[Sca-cooks] Chilli Mac?

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 18:02:47 PST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:04:57 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> When I was a kid, I remember being exposed to a goulash like that,
> except it had a brown gravy-type sauce instead of a tomato product.
> It was something I've often wondered about as I became interested in
> food as a more academic subject. My mother was born New Jersey with
> an Irish/Brooklyn father and an Upstate New York/German immigrant
> mother, but spent her childhood split between eastern Long Island,
> back when it was still a wilderness, and Brooklyn. My mom's memory,
> at age 87, is still sharp as a tack, but she claims to have no memory
> of any goulash that wasn't Hungarian and laced with paprika.

My mother came from the coal regions of PA,  which was immigrant
city when she was growing up.  My Mom's side of the family is
Scots Irish and Scots.

I've had it with brown gravy too, but my Mom liked to make it with her
home canned spaghetti sauce.  My Dad grew up with a brown gravy
version and grew up in North Central PA, about a mile from where I did.

Most of the versions I have found online are tomato based as well.

I think this is another case of name transferrance.

Cadoc

> >It's a recession perversion of the real thing., I think.  I find
> >versions of it
> >from all areas of the country.
> >
> >All this in the land of Chef Boy-ar-dee.
>
> One never knows, do one? Which reminds me. I must send another
> anonymous, threatening note to Pace Foods, suggesting that A) nobody
> in the world makes a commercial salsa, cruda or otherwise, in New
> York City, and B) if they did, it would be better than Pace's (whose
> chief executive offices, as part of the Campbell's Soup Empire, are
> in Camden, NJ).  Do these idiots think we're effete for no reason?!?
>
> Adamantius
> --
>
> "S'ils n'ont pas de pain, vous fait-on dire, qu'ils  mangent de la
> brioche!" / "If there's no bread to be had, one has to say, let them
> eat cake!"
>         -- attributed to an unnamed noblewoman by Jean-Jacques
> Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782
>
> "Why don't they get new jobs if they're unhappy -- or go on Prozac?"
>         -- Susan Sheybani, assistant to Bush campaign spokesman Terry
> Holt, 07/29/04

                                    - William Gibson