[Sca-cooks] Re: Sugar free sports drink alternative

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 1 10:19:35 PDT 2005

On hot days, I like to drink Orange Juice, 1:1 with water.  Probably
this is too much sugar for a diabetic but it works for me.

Alternately, good for diabetics but not for sodium-sensitive is the
following yummy thing, not necessarily period but soooo good on a hot day:

Korean Cucumber Cold Soup  - Oi Naeng-kuk

Cucumber  :  2
Green onion  :  1/2 stalk
Garlic  :  1 clove
Soy sauce  :  2 Tbsp
Vinegar  :  3 Tbsp
Sugar  :  1 Tbsp
Sesame seed, roasted  :  1/2 tsp
Hot pepper powder  :  1 tsp or to taste
Water:  4 cups
Salt

1. Wash the cucumbers scrubbing with salt.
Cut them in thin strips, or slice them 1/10 inch thick.

2. Crush the garlic and chop the green onion.

3. Put the cucumbers, wakame, green onion, garlic, hot pepper powder,
and 1 tablespoonful of vinegar in a bowl. Mix them well by hand.

4. Combine the remaining vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce with 4 cups of
cooled water.

5. For serving, pour the cooled soup on the mixture in the bowl, then
sprinkle the
roasted sesame seeds. Transfer it to individual bowls. This is often
served with an ice
cube in the bowl.

Notes:  I also throw in one Tablespoon of shredded wakame [dried
seaweed] for an extra mineral boost and texture.
One might try a packet of Splenda instead of the Tablespoon of sugar.
 Tell me how it goes.

Best, Selene