[Sca-cooks] meats pizziola

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 8 21:49:56 PDT 2005

While the first two specify methods of preparation, neither is particularly
detailed and the question is raised as to whether they represent first hand
knowledge or hearsay.  Also, there is no way of determining the social
context of the preparations or the extent of use.  We can use the
descriptions to create recipes, but we have no idea as to the accuracy of
our recreations.  Call them recipes, if you will, but understand the
historical limitations.

The third item is a recipe being specifically for the preparation of the
dish in a text written specifically for stewards of noble households and by
such a steward.  The sauce is specified as being of Spanish derivation and
it is obviously upwardly mobile socially.  As a small aside, there are some
other recipes in the text using tomatoes and peppers and all are "in the
Spanish style."

Grewe was hoping that some 16th Century manuscript cookbook would give us a
real tomato sauce recipe, but AFAIK it hasn't been found and translated.

Bear