[Sca-cooks] meats pizziola

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Jul 10 16:50:44 PDT 2005

I rather think that this is the message you remember---
from the archives--

Hope this helps--

Johnnae llyn Lewis

  [Sca-cooks] tomato sauce documentation

from Johnna
Wed Aug 25 17:23:06 CDT 2004

Take a look at-- our article
from  9/5/02
 "Sixteenth Century Italian and Spanish Tomato References" by Johnnae
llyn Lewis, Helewyse de Birkestad, and Brighid ni Chiarain.

It's in the Florilegium at http://www.florilegium.org/
or see it here at:
http://home.comcast.net/~iasmin/mkcc/MKCCfiles/16thCITomatoReferences.html <http://home.comcast.net/%7Eiasmin/mkcc/MKCCfiles/16thCITomatoReferences.html>

We cover the earliest "recipes" in the article.

Johnnae

Samrah wrote:

>I have heard rumor that sometime in the late 1500 the Italians made a sauce from tomatoes by cooking the "poisonous" beasties for 3 days....  Does anybody have docs on this.  I can surely bet somebody somewhere is going to want to use tomato sauce, and it might be better to doc it than discourage it...  The idea is get 'em cooking, get 'em looking, then tighten up the reigns and remind them that things like tomatoes were not commonly used...
>
>Samrah
You got because you then posted--
Samrah
   on   Wed Aug 25 18:10:37 CDT 2004