[Sca-cooks] Ethnic was American Diet was Anchovette

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Jul 11 18:49:35 PDT 2005

On Jul 11, 2005, at 9:31 PM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> There may be more of you, Master A,

I can assure you there's plenty of me. ;-)

> but I, for one, don't know which of the flavors I taste in
> Worchestershire sauce *IS* tamarind.  I've never had the chance to
> taste in on its own.

It appears frequently in various SE Asian cuisines. It's a common
ingredient in sauces for spring rolls in Thai, Vietnamese, and
Burmese (whatever the adjective form of Myanmar is) cookery, and in
Indian and Thai sour curries. Kinda hard to describe. Sweet-and-sour,
a little like sweet tea.

> My one experience with anchovies-as-themselves was on a pizza,
> hidden under the cheese.  They tasted like nasty little salt bombs
> to me <<shudder>>.  And I don't live in a part of the US that has
> the wide variety of ethnic cuisines and markets available
> elsewhere, so I haven't had the opportunity to taste them prepared
> on something besides a really bad Domino's pizza.

I think there are variations in quality brought about by a number of
factors, ranging from age in the storage container, whether they're
canned or from a glass jar, the storage temperature, the kind of oil
they were packed in, and how much, if at all, the fishies were cooked
before you get them. I imagine Dominoes fails on a number of counts,
probably using huge cans of anchovies that stay open a good while,
then cooked for longer, at a slightly lower temperature, than on an
artisanal pizza. These are just guesses, though, but I much prefer my
anchovies "raw". When cooked, they can acquire an unpleasant, gritty,
fish-bone taste and texture, and lose a lot of their flavor, aroma,
and moistness. Salt bombs is about right, but they are, after all,
fish, and fish is what they should taste like. If they don't,
something is wrong. But using fresh ones from a chilled jar, packed
in real olive oil, on a salad of sun-warmed, vine-ripened tomatoes,
and paper-thin slices of sweet onion? Sublime.

> We're just now getting some places in town that serve more of an
> artisanal pizza (Going Beyond Pizza Hut <g>), and they serve some
> tasty things.  I've found that I really enjoy eating ones similar
> to those that Master A describes......
> --Maire, who drinks her coffee black, hot and a little sweet (for a
> special treat, I use some of the demerara sugar I brought back from
> England)
> p.s.  Isn't "balut" a food comprising unhatched ducklings?

That's the one.

A.