[Sca-cooks] [OOP??]avacado question

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Jul 20 06:48:37 PDT 2005

If you have one of those vacuum sealers, you can do it. The main
thing is to prevent air from contacting the avocado. They sell
frozen guacamole in the grocery stores here and freezing doesn't
seem to harm the taste or consistency. The key is that you don't
put any "liquidy" stuff in the guacamole (like tomatoes) before
freezing. You can add them in fresh when you defrost. To freeze
it, you can put in the onion, garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro, a
squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. You can add
fresh onions and tomatoes when you are ready to serve.

When I make anything with avocado ahead of time, I either add a
layer of lemon or lime juice to the top or press cling wrap on top
of it to keep it from oxidizing.

Here's another good avocado recipe. It is from memory so adjust it
to your taste:
King's Inn Bombay Salad
1 to 2 ripe avocados (depending on taste and size)
16oz of nonfat sour cream
1 pkg of onion soup mix
1tbsp of garlic powder
1-2tbsp of curry powder (depending on freshness, etc)
1-2tbsp lemon juice

Mix this up in a bowl and let the flavors blend for at least an
hour. I usually let it set overnight using the methods listed
above. Serve it over chopped iceberg lettuce and tomato wedges
that have been drizzled with lemon juice. The avocado dressing
goes on top.

This goes great with seafood. King's Inn is a fairly well-known
seafood restaurant in South Texas - named for the Kings of King's
Ranch fame. It is in the middle of no where (literally) but people
drive for hours to eat there. It sits right on the water's edge
(or did before Emily visited, we'll see if it's still there at the
week's end). The fishing boats pull right up and drop off their
catch at the restaurant before selling the rest further down the
bay.

Ysabeau
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Ansteorra