[Sca-cooks] Re: Chickens in Hochee

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 09:12:39 PDT 2005

On May 31, 2005, at 4:28 PM, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

>>>If I'd left the chicken in the broth that long, it would fall apart
>>>(as it was, I had a hard time getting it out of the pot), which
>>>would rather defeat the purpose of stuffing it, I'd think. So I'm
>>>back to wondering how the garlic and the chicken are done through
>>>at the same time.

<<<

Could it be possible that the chicken *is* supposed to fall apart, and
that the purpose of stuffing it is just to get the flavor of the grapes
and garlic through the meat more efficiently?  Looking back at the
original recipe, the serving instructions simply say, "/Messe hem & cast
(th)erto powdour dowce."/  I don't have access to an OED, so I can't
look it up, but to me, the term "messe" does not imply a tidy, intact
chicken... :)  I could be off-base on this, but it is another possibility.

Just a thought,
Arwen